Archangelsk (originally Novo Kholmogory), a northern settlement
named after the archangel Michael, was established as the major
port for the Russian trade by the English in the sixteenth
century. In the eighteenth century, despite its remote location
on the Arctic coast, it remained Russia's principal port. Its historical
and contemporary importance to British commerce are strongly
attested to in the account given of
the city in the Encyclopaedia Britanica, 4th edition (1797).
In this map Archangelsk is located at center-right, fronting the White
From A. Ilin, ZHeleznyia dorogo Rossii (1918), IVa.